The ground work having been completed work has now begun on re-pointing of the Chapel east wall and repairing the window frame.
We are grateful to Coe Stone for leading on this work, supervised by our Architects Arnold Bartosch
Meanwhile at Barley Studios in York work is going on with creating the Jesse Window.
Stained glass was first used in Egypt in the time of he Pharaohs .The making of stained-glass windows has hardly changed since the 12th century. A stained-glass window consists of pieces of coloured glass held together in a latticed web of lead. The glass has previously had details of faces, hands and drapery painted and fired on to it in black or brown paint. About the year 1300, yellow stain was discovered, This had the ability to turn white glass yellow or blue glass green, and was extremely useful in the highlighting of hair, haloes and crowns.
While in York we saw a magnificent display on the care and repair of stained glass, a good way of involving people in the work and educating us in the complexities of restoration and preservation.