Some of you were able to be at St Mary’s on Thursday morning, when we gathered to take Fr Jeremy’s body from the church for burial. Especially for those who were not, here are the prayers I used before we left the church (the text of a hymn and prayer taken from the Office for the Dead, the Church’s morning and evening prayer for the deceased):
Remember those, O Lord, Who in your peace have died,
And are to gain love’s high reward
When love is purified.
With you they faced death’s night, Sealed with your victory sign,
Soon may the splendour of your light
On them for ever shine
Your love is their great joy; Your will their one desire; As finest gold without alloy Refine them in love’s fire.
For them we humbly pray: Perfect them in your love.
O may we share eternal day
With them in heaven above.
God, our Father, by whose Son’s death and resurrection we have been redeemed,
you are the glory of the faithful, the life of your saints;
have mercy on your servant Jeremy and as he has professed his faith in the
mystery of our resurrection,
so may he gain possession of eternal joy, through Jesus Christ our Lord.
Thank you all very much indeed for the gratitude and love you showed for Fr Jeremy in coming to the Cathedral and St Mary’s on Wednesday lunchtime, in paying your private respects and bringing your prayers and condolences on Wednesday afternoon/evening and Thursday morning, and indeed for being there when we took Fr Jeremy’s body to be buried. I am certain he would have been as touched and moved by this heartfelt and abiding tribute to his ministry and the man he was as his family has said they are. Thank you!
- The Mothers Union Deanery Carol Service is on Thursday at Holy Trinity at 3pm—the Area Dean is officiating and all are welcome.
- The Parish Fellowship has organised an Advent Devotional at 7pm at Christchurch on Wednesday. Fr Bernard will choose devotional readings and music and there will be a bring-and-share supper afterwards.
- Our Advent study course starts at 7pm on Thursday in the music room at The Priory Centre. The study is centred around a book by Kevin Scully called Five Impossible things to believe before Christmas, which will hopefully enthuse us as we travel through Advent to Christmas.
- The Christmas Activity Day takes place on Saturday from 1pm to 3pm, with fun, games and Fr Christmas. For more details, please contact Sadie Watkins on 07970 732517.
- St Mary’s and Christchurch parish lunch takes place on Sunday, December 18, 12.30pm for 1pm. Tickets £10, available from churchwardens.
- This year we are again supporting disadvantaged teenagers aged 15-18 in Abergavenny who, through no fault of their own, do not live at home. There will be boxes at back of each church for donations of suitable items to be included in gift bags, such as toiletries, sweets, etc, for both boys and girls. Many thanks.
- There will be a Requiem Mass at St Arvans Church next Saturday, December 10, at 12 noon, to give thanks for Fr Jeremy’s 10 years of ministry there. All are welcome.
- There will be a Mass said for Fr Jeremy at Our Lady and St Michael’s RC Church in Pen-y- Pound at 10am next Sunday, December 11. Again all welcome to attend and to receive a blessing during the Communion.